HGV driver training is now available to an additional 1,300 people in a bid to address skills shortages impacting construction firms
The Driver Academy Group (DAG) is offering the places through the government’s extended HGV Skills Bootcamps, which will see thousands more HGV drivers trained over the next year.
First launched in December 2021, the programme has been extended for a further 12 months until 31 March 2024.
Government will fund 70% of the total cost of the training, with employers funding the remaining 30%.
James Clifford, CEO of HGVC, said: “While the immediate HGV driver shortage has passed, many construction firms still need more drivers to meet demand.
“This extension to the Department for Education’s Skills Bootcamps for HGV drivers offers construction firms the opportunity to secure 70% funded courses for their employees. For employers re-considering training budgets, this is a huge opportunity to train up new drivers or existing staff.
“While the economy continues to face some major challenges, this scheme really is a lifeline for the construction industry and keeping its supply chains moving.”
HGVC’s courses are open to businesses looking to train any employee with a driver’s licence and more than three years’ experience, or more experienced employees who want to upskill.
The training courses are available at 60 locations across the country.
Construction firms can apply at www.hgv.academy.